Sunday, June 03, 2007

New York!



Wow. New York rocked.

I've always want to go and see the place and finally got the opportunity for free! It was a lengthy 4hr and 25 min flight to New York direct from Edmonton (we were watching the fuel gauges pretty darn closely). But we arrived to perfect weather. 28 degrees and not a cloud in the sky. There wasn't even any haze to be seen either.

We stayed in a Hilton near the Teterboro Airport in New Jersey. This is a very popular private and corporate airport that serves New York. All the major airports are very, very busy and this one is just a little more convenient. The day after we arrived we were awake pretty early and headed out to a bus stop and bussed right into times square. It was another glorious day and we took full advantage. We walked all over the damn place, probably close to 15miles by the time it was all said and done with. We checked out Times Square, the Ed Sullivan Theater (where Letterman does the Late Show), Central Park, 5th Ave, the Metropolitan Museum of Art (didn't actually go in though aside from the lobby), Trump Tower, Rockefeller Center/Plaza, NBC Studios, Empire State Building (didn't go up), Bryant Park and a bunch of other little areas all in between.

On the way back I accidentally had us jump off the bus 1 stop too quickly and that added about 15 more mins of walking to our return to the hotel. That was a tough walk back as we were already exhausted from all of our travels that day already.

I will post up a photo album in the next couple of days to showcase our walking tour of New York. If I get to go there again soon I'd like to check out Wall Street, Canal Street (China Town) and Ground Zero. All of those places were quite far down south of where we were and it was rush hour madness, so we opted to skip out.

As for right now, I'm on days off enjoying the awesome weekend weather in Calgary. Was out biking around the rivers downtown, had a beer on the patio with roommates and friends, lots of BBQ'ing and other summer activities. A great weekend!

No comments: