Thursday, December 21, 2006

The traveling public irks me

Just a couple of things of note from my past couple weeks of back and forth commercial travel. Some things about people just irk the hell out of me.

Carry-on Baggage:
Ok, I get it, you don't to wait for your bags on the carousel, but when I see people heaving these suitcases into the overhead bins it boggles my mind. First off, the damn things fill the compartments. I tried to fit just my laptop case in an overhead bin and it was already full with one carry-on suitcase and a coat! Needless to say I jammed the coat into the back of the bin with brute force of my laptop bag.

Let's all stand up the second we can:
I love how the second the plane stops everyone stands up trying to be first off the damn plane. Are these people aware of the fact we're all going to have to walk down the same isles, single file. I look ahead and see people who had middle or window seats standing in their rows too all haunched over with their heads tilted sideways because of the overhead bins.

Seat belts:
The biggest irk of all. Without fail as soon as that seat belt sign comes off I hear "click click click click..." as everyone undoes their seat belts. What does this accomplish!? The belt is still going to have to be on your lap or jammed into the gaps in the seat, why not leave it loosely connected? What the flight attendants are saying "for your safety and for the safety of those around you.." is true. I don't need the guy in seat 3B come flying back and smoke me in the head when we hit a patch of real bad unexpected turbulence.

And it does happen, fly long enough and you'll be going along, it's all fine and dandy and BOOM, stuffs flying through the cabin and people are going to be hurt. It's happened to me on a couple of occasions as a pilot and we are always buckled up in the front, but even if I'm in the back I'm still buckled. I don't need the fabric pattern from the ceiling of the jet permanently burned into my forehead. So please folks, use some common sense. Loosen the belt, there's no need to take it off. Same goes for just after landing, everyone unclicks while the plane is still taxiing in to the gate for parking. At anytime they might have to slam on the brakes or take a quick corner. Take a chill pill, relax, and wait for the plane to come to a full stop and the seat belt sign to be turned off!!

end rant.

No comments: