Monday, January 09, 2006

Frequent Flyer Miles

If only I could get some sort of Frequent Flyer Miles while working. Unfortunately that is not the case. But the other day I was updating my flying hours and statistics. Since working for AirSprint I have accumulated approx 241,000kms while flying all over North America - from the Arctic Circle Down to Los Cabos, over to Florida and up to Ottawa.

Turns out that stastically speaking, I've flown around the world an equivilant of 6 times exactly! Cool eh?

Everying in the career of a pilot is based off of their flight experience. So the amount of hours in the airplane is what will determine your progression in the industry. And more importantly it's the type of flying accumulated in different aircraft, different types of flying and different locations.

Here are some rough figures to give you an idea of various stages of hour accumulation and what they're good for.

Private Pilot's License - 55 hrs
Commercial Pilot's License - 200 hrs
Airline Transport Pilot's License - 1500 hrs

Those are just the main milestones, each requiring more specific requirements and various other additional ratings.

I'm currently floating around 1300 hrs, 500 of which has been accumulated here at AirSprint. The most a pilot can legally fly in one year is 1200 hrs, but within my company pilots tend to fly around 500-700hrs a year. A career pilot can expect to end their careers with around 20-25,000hrs. So.. I'm on my way!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wear a dosimeter - you know that spending that much time at 35,000 feet in the air increases your radiation count? :)

Anonymous said...

Haha.. yeah we are exposed to a few extra beams of radiated goodness. But on a plus side it keeps my arms and face tanned all year long! ;)