I went, I saw, I conquered.
I had a successful trip to IKEA yesterday with my roommate Mike.
The Goal: To obtain bedroom furniture for my long anticipated move to the basement.
Results: A few bills shorter, but a nice little bedroom has been constructed.
So after spending a good couple of hours wandering the IKEA in southern Calgary my roommate and I proceeded to the furniture pick up isles and successfully loaded up a cart fully with my new bedroom. The items purchased included: A dresser, tall bookcase, small table/desk, simple computer chair. Upon returning home from IKEA we promptly opened up a few beers and began the construction process. The two of us had most of the furniture constructed quite quickly as we were able to create a production line of sorts. First constructed was the dresser which fits nicely into a little nook in the corner of my room. On top of the 4 drawer birch finished unit went my TV, VCR and DVD player. Next up was my tall 6 shelf bookcase also finished in IKEA's birch. The problem I was having with this unit was that I couldn't' put it up against the wall that I wanted to, because the heat control unit would be blocked if I tried to get it close to the wall. Solution! I took out an exacto knife and did some careful measurements and cut out a little rectangular section from the back part of the bookshelf that was made out of particle board. We placed it up against the wall and it was a perfect fit with the heating control unit poking through. I'll just place a picture or something in front of it and reach behind anytime I need to adjust the heat.
The desk and chair I constructed today. I could only get the desk in white as the size I wanted in birch was completely sold out (obviously very popular for a $19 table top).
I've taken most of my things and moved in, still a few things though remain upstairs in my previous room.
The room had actually been ready for a couple of weeks, but due to my hectic schedule of office and flying work and then getting sick, I hadn't been able to do much about it.
So I've now spent a couple of nights down there and I'm quite happy to have my own official space...... even if it has been 7months coming. =D
A couple of quirks about the new room. It's direclty under the kitchen. So I can faintly hear the kitchen drawers being opened and closed. I can hear the water from the bathroom closest to me and if people are stomping loudly above me, I can hear it as well due to the hardwood floors in the house. Not too bad though, quite manageable.
I'll try and take a couple of pictures soon so you can get an idea of my quaint little space.
Next up is a new bed. A buddy of ours works for a major retailer and can get us top of the line models for extremely, and I mean extremely good deals... like 25% of retail. We just need to show up at the warehouse and load it into the back of our vehicle (totally legit, don't worry!). So for now though I continue to sleep on a little IKEA double mattress on the floor that I've been borrowing since I got here.
Alrighty... back to my first night of 5 in the office.
Tuesday, March 08, 2005
IKEA!
Posted by
Matt
at
10:51 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
hey matt!
the only thing i have to say is...are you sure 25% of retail is an "extremely" cheap deal? A lot of things go on sale for 25% off (i should know..). Markups are incredible, especially in home funishings. Try for 30 - 50%. Just a thought.
Can't wait to see your new room!~
Gee
Hey Garmy, what I meant by 25% of cost is that I'm getting 75% off!
So the $2000 super bed will cost me just shy of $500. =D
Matt.
Post a Comment